ZocdocAnswersWhy do I feel mellow or sad after eating certain sugary foods?

Question

Why do I feel mellow or sad after eating certain sugary foods?

Its usually something with chocolate in it. The biggest offender is chocolate chip cookies. When I eat one, I feel fine. But, a few minutes later, I feel so down.

Answer

That is a great question. Sugar usually causes people to feel energized for short periods of time, and then your body releases a burst of insulin which causes your blood sugar levels to go down. It may be this reason that you feel fine for a little while and then later feel down. That being said, it is very important that you are evaluated by your primary care doctor or another medical professional because they will be the best to evaluate your history and physical examination and decide if further tests are warranted. Although this could be normal, there is a potential that you have something more serious, such as diabetes, which your doctor can test for and treat you if needed. Unfortunately, there was very little history provided so it is difficult to know whether there could be another reason for you to have these mood changes. In general, if you start to feel down, there are several things that you can do to try and improve your mood such as go do some deep breathing, meditation, or get some fresh air. Your doctor can also suggest some activities to do when you feel down or depressed.