I have endometriosis, what do my scan results mean?

I know I have endometriosis affecting the Pouch of Douglas, left and right pelvic side walls and the uterovesical peritoneal fold. Could you tell me if these areas are the same as the uterosacral ligament and rectovaginal septum which is where endometriosis was located during my most recent transvaginal ultra sound scan?
Thank you very much for your question. For specific results of your imaging and testing, I would recommend that you speak to your primary care provider or the physician who ordered the particular test as they are the ones who are best qualified to speak to your specific condition. Scan results are best interpreted in the context of your specific medical history, family history, risk factors, and medications. The Pouch of Douglas is the eponym for the rectouterine wall (that is, the area of peritoneum that lies between your rectum and your uterus). This often corresponds to the rectovaginal septum. The uterovesical peritoneal fold is the area of peritoneum that separates your bladder from your uterus. This area is in front of your uterus as opposed to the Pouch of Douglas, which lies behind your uterus. The left and right pelvic side walls often refer to the peritoneal lining on either side of the pelvis but may mean more specific structures depending on the context of the scan report. It is not possible to receive a diagnosis without being evaluated by a doctor or other qualified health professional. I suggest you schedule an appointment with your doctor or local health clinic to discuss your scan results and your concerns in greater detail.

Nearby Radiologists

Other Radiologists

• Dr. Sasan Azar
    Dr. Sasan Azar MD
    Radiologist
    92-11 Roosevelt Avenue
    Jackson Heights, NY 11372