ZocdocAnswersWhat is causing my breast to be sore?

Question

What is causing my breast to be sore?

I'm 22 and my breast have been swollen and sore about 3weeks now should I be worried

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. It is important to undergo a thorough history and physical exam, including breast exam, to determine the cause of your breast soreness. I encourage you to schedule an appointment with a primary care physician for further evaluation. Breast soreness often occurs when increased hormonal release causes proliferation of the breast tissue itself or increased milk production. Women often experience breast soreness at certain times in their menstrual cycle. Additionally, pregnancy can lead to breast swelling and tenderness. I recommend you see a primary care physician so that you can undergo a pregnancy test. Trauma to the breast can cause soreness, although this is usually not diffuse and may be localized only to the area of injury. Breast tumors can be soreness, but again, these would rarely be localized to both breasts and cause diffuse swelling. It is also possible to develop an infection of the breast tissue, which is called mastitis. This can occur if there is a break in the breast tissue, which often occurs in women who are breastfeeding. Although these possibilities are rare, you will need to undergo an evaluation by a primary care physician in order to rule them out.