ZocdocAnswersI have a headache with stretched eyes since last week. What should I do?

Question

I have a headache with stretched eyes since last week. What should I do?

I an 37 years old. I had an eye checkup it says -0.25 the oyher guy says its ignorable but my headache persits. Please advice.

Answer

This is a good question. Although you have had an eye exam it is still important that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor for a full history and physical. I am not sure what you mean by "stretched eyes". I am assuming you might mean stressed eyes? You are correct in that a change in your vision can cause headaches but it seems as though your vision is good. Many headaches can cause pain in or behind the eyes even without vision problems. Tension headaches are usually characterized as feeling like there is a tight band around your head. Migraine headaches are usually worse on one side then the other and are pounding and can be associated with nausea, flashing lights, and other symptoms. Although rare, there are other more serious causes of a persistent headache such as a brain tumor so it is very important that you make an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible to obtain a correct diagnosis and get appropriate treatment. In the meantime, make sure you get plenty of rest and drink plenty of water.