ZocdocAnswersWhat could cause heartburn pain and burning in stomach after eating?

Question

What could cause heartburn pain and burning in stomach after eating?

Been like this for 2 weeks and not getting any better. cant eat without bein in pain and feeling sick

Answer

Given that you have been experiencing severe symptoms for two weeks, I encourage you to discuss this further with your primary care physician. One possibility is that you are suffering from inflammation of your esophagus or stomach, often termed esophagitis or gastritis. Food can worsen this inflammation. Additionally, after eating, it is possible the sphincter muscle that helps keep food from moving from your stomach back into your esophagus malfunctions and allows both food and stomach acid to reach your esophagus. This can cause pain. More seriously, an ulcer in your stomach of duodenum (early part of your small intestine) can cause such symptoms. There are also abnormalities of your esophagus such as achalasia, esophageal dysmotility, or nutcracker esophagus that can cause similar symptoms. I encourage you to discuss such possibilities with your primary care physician to determine if you should see a gastroenterologist. Depending on the results of your initial evaluation, you may need to undergo an upper esophagus, which involves inserting a camera through your mouth and into your stomach. During this test, the physician can take photos and also take biopsies to determine the cause of your symptoms. As some of these conditions can be life-threatening, I encourage you to consult your physician.