What is that painful scratchy feeling when I cough?

Sometimes it feels like I coughed up blood, though it's never visible. I can taste it though, sometimes stronger than others.
Sorry to hear about both your cough and your pain when you do cough. It's hard to know exactly what you're talking about without knowing what part of the body you are describing. So it is important to speak with your doctor about your concern. A scratchy feeling in the back of the throat can be common with some types of dry cough, and can even seem to cause the cough in some cases. Over time, this sort of cough can turn into something that becomes a reflex and may require medications that help to soothe the nerves that lead to the cough. Obviously, a foreign body in your throat or something such as a tumor that shouldn't be there could also cause some of these symptoms, and so you should speak with your doctor about this. A scratchy feeling lower down, as in your lungs or somewhere else, can be a sign of something that needs to be addressed with a doctor as well. Often, an x-ray can help to provide valuable information in settings of a painful cough, and your doctor can discuss this with you and determine if you need further therapy or investigation. Please speak with your doctor about your question and what could be causing your symptoms.

• Dr. Robert Domaleski
    Dr. Robert Domaleski MD
    8200 E. Belleview Avenue
    Greenwood Village, CO 80111
  • Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa
    Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217
  • Dr. Martin Molina
    Dr. Martin Molina MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217