ZocdocAnswersAre my chest twinges anxiety?

Question

Are my chest twinges anxiety?

On Monday I went to an emergency doctor (I have just moved to a new country so am not yet registered with a doctor) who told me it was anxiety and gave me beta blockers. The beta blockers have helped and I am also taking st johns wort and B12 supplement. Although I am 25, have a healthy lifestyle and have normal blood pressure I still find having these twinges worrying

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms, and I can certainly understand why they would be concerning. It is not possible to determine the cause of your symptoms without reviewing your entire medical history and performing a thorough physical exam. A physician also needs to review your EKG. Therefore, I recommend you schedule an appointment with a primary care doctor. After collecting this information, the doctor can discuss possible explanations for your symptoms as well as treatment options. Anxiety can cause chest pain and palpitations, and this is a common cause in young patients. Another potential cause is costochondritis, or inflammation of the joints connecting your ribs to your sternum. Gastroesophageal reflux disease can cause severe spasms of the esophageal sphincter, which often leads to pain in the chest area. Pericarditis, or inflammation of the sac surrounding the heart, is often caused by viral infections and can lead to pain. Inflammation of the heart muscle itself, or myocarditis, can do the same. Although rare in a young person, blockages of the coronary arteries can also lead to chest pain. Beta blockers themselves do not treat anxiety. Overall, I recommend you see a primary care doctor to determine the specific cause of your chest pain as well as make recommendations on treatment of the underlying cause as well as your symptoms.