Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What could be wrong with my ear?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat could be wrong with my ear?


I have visited at least 5 different doctors who all diagnosed me with something different, yet I am still having pain. First I was told I had an infection and used amoxicillin, which did absolutely nothing for me. Next I was told I had Eustachian tube dysfunction and that I should take decongestants to clear my sinuses, took that for almost 3 weeks and still felt no difference. Next I am told I have fluid built up in my ear and that I should see an ear speciist to get it drained. So I got to the ear specialist who sees nothing wrong with my ear, no fluid build up or nothing, and tells me to try a different decongestant (Zyrtec D) which I have been taken and still has not helped. I have pain no only in my ear, but it goes down into my next. My lower left jaw bone hurts when I apply pressure to it as well as the muscles that are nearby. I am getting extremely irritated because no one can figure out what is wrong and I work with music to this is not acceptable to live with.


Thank you for your question. Ear pain and problems can be quite difficult to treat, and this problem is compounded by the fact that few people are comfortable treating some of the complex problems that can occur in the ear itself. The best bet to get the right answer is to speak with an ear nose and throat surgeon (AKA ENT AKA otolaryngologist-head and neck surgeon), who has had specific training in this area. Even more specifically, an otologist has an additional 2 years of training in treating just the ear, and would even better be able to answer some complex problems involving the ear. Regarding your complaints of pain, it is common that people will complain of ear pain when the pain is coming from somewhere else. Your jaw pain could be indicative of something such as TMJ syndrome, which can commonly cause ear pain. Alternatively, tumors in the jaw and neck can sometimes cause pain as well due to the innervation of both areas being shared between each. There are many other possibilities, and you should definitely discuss them with your doctor or a specialist to make sure that you are getting the answers and treatment you need.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.