Do I have UTI?

Hey, I've been feeling burning sensation while urinating... My guess its UTI which goes away by itself or by drinking cranberry juice. Im pretty sure i got it from sexual intercourse, but im not 100% sure. Anyways, this is first time something like this happens to me, and its been 2 weeks and it still hurts when im urinating. It burns first time in the morning when urinating and then the rest of the day its normal, no pain. Should i contact doctor or just drink juice and wait it out? Btw 2 weeks with a lot water drinking, but still havent got myself cranberry juice. Thank you, male 18
I think that you should probably see a doctor for the symptoms. First, it is very unusual for men to get urinary tract infections. If you feel that you have a urinary tract infection at one time and it went away with cranberry juice, then you need an evaluation because this is not normal. I am actually more worried that you may have a sexual transmitted infections such as chlamydia or gonorrhea. This can cause symptoms of burning with urination that is much more common in men. Men typically don't get the urinary tract infections that women get shortly after sexual intercourse. Your doctor will likely want to test you using a urine test that looks for the genetic material of the gonorrhea and chlamydia bacteria. If he or she is suspicious enough, you might get treated right there in the office. The treatment for gonorrhea and chlamydia is a single dose of ceftriaxone by injection, and a single dose of azithromycin by pill. After that you're cured! If this does turn out to be an STD or if you have engaged in unprotected sex with more than one partner, then you might also get tested for other sexually transmitted infections. In addition, if your doctor is concerned he or she might get a urinalysis just to rule out a standard UTI. You can see your primary care physician for these issues.

• Dr. Ramin Samadi
    Dr. Ramin Samadi MD
    5900 Overton Ridge Blvd
    Fort Worth, TX 76132
  • Dr. Gladys Martinez
    Dr. Gladys Martinez DO
    1001 NW 13th Street
    Boca Raton, FL 33486
  • Dr. Julie Norley
    Dr. Julie Norley DO
    7534 E 2nd Street
    Scottsdale, AZ 85251