Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What can be done with a busted meniscus ? "

ZocdocAnswersWhat can be done with a busted meniscus ?


My boyfriend has a busted meniscus in his left knee from falling out of his work truck, almost 3 months ago. He has been seeing the company doctor & they are giving him pain meds & anti-inflammatory meds while we are still waiting on Worksman comp to let him see an Orthopedic Doctor. In the mean time his knee is getting worse. He is 59. I was wondering what another doctor might would do. Thanks. He has taken Loracet 10mg, Naproxen SOD 550, & then Tramadol HCL 50mg, Meloxicam 7.5mg. This is what the doctor prescribed for him


I'm sorry to hear that this has happened. I recommend that he speak with a doctor. Recovery from a meniscus injury can take a very long time. This is because the meniscus cartilage has very limited blood flow, and so it heals very slowly. Many people without very demanding physical jobs or participation in competitive or vigorous athletics may not completely recover to the desired level without orthopedic surgical involvement. However, many others with less demands on their knees may do very well indeed with medications to control pain and inflammation. Additionally most people with this injury should participate in a regular physical therapy program, as this can also help to strengthen and stabilize the need and help return to normal functioning. Other than pain medications and physical therapy (and potentially knee bracing) there is not much else that can be done without visiting an orthopedic doctor. This is because cases that do not respond to these basic measures often do end up needing knee surgery, and this is the special area of an orthopedic surgeon. It is not clear from your question whether or not he is participating in physical therapy. If not this would definitely be very helpful, and it would be a good thing to talk with his doctor about.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.