ZocdocAnswersInternal shoulder dislocation, what should I do?

Question

Internal shoulder dislocation, what should I do?

I was leaning back on some pillows and my left shoulder popped. it wasn't that painful though. So the next day I took 2 ballet classes. Each time I lifted my arm over my head it would crack very loudly. The PT said it was an internal problem. Now my shoulder is beginning to bruise. I feel like my left side of my neck is very tight and knotted. Is this normal. I am in a sling but don't know what is happening. Please help.

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms, and it sounds like they are having a significant impact on your life. In order to provide an accurate recommendation, it will be necessary to review your entire medical history and perform a detailed physical exam. You may also need imaging studies to further evaluate your pain. Therefore, I recommend you schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. After gathering this information, the surgeon can make recommendations on the next appropriate course of action. The shoulder is a complicated joint. Your pain may be due to an injury of the rotator cuff, which is a series of four muscles (deltoid, subscapularis, supraspinatus, and infraspinatus). If you did dislocate the shoulder, you can experience pain due to stretching and tearing of the muscles and ligaments holding the joint in place or from a fracture of the glenohumeral joint. You could also have suffered damage to the labrum, or cartilage lining the joint, or the humeral cartilage on top of the arm bone. It is also possible you have damaged the acromioclavicular joint, which connects the clavicle and the scapula. It will not be possible to determine the cause of your symptoms without a thorough physical exam, and I encourage you to raise these questions with an orthopedic surgeon.