ZocdocAnswersIf I finish off my Metronidazole pills tomorrow morning, can I drink tomorrow night?

Question

If I finish off my Metronidazole pills tomorrow morning, can I drink tomorrow night?

There will be at least 12 hours in between

Answer

I would suggest that you contact your primary care physician to discuss your dilemma. Whenever physicians prescribe the antibiotic metronidazole, we often recommend that people not drink alcohol. This is because metronidazole has the side effect of inhibiting the metabolism of one of the steps of breaking down alcohol. At least this is one theory about how it interacts with alcohol. In any event, the drug does not necessarily make it dangerous to take with alcohol its just that people that drink alcohol while on metronidazole can feel very sick. It's not generally a life threatening reaction, you are just putting yourself at risk of having a bad night when you mix the two substances. While there is no specific recommendation, the general teaching is that you should not consume alcohol within the 48 hours following your last dose of metronidazole. Thus, if you have a drink 12 hours later, you are putting yourself at risk of feeling crummy while consuming alcoholic beverages. Most doctors will say, "drink at your own risk." Again, I would suggest that you discuss this with your primary care physician. Every doctor has a different style and set of recommendations regarding this issue. In addition, it might be helpful for you to discuss what you should do if you do decide to drink and end up getting sick.