I don't have diabetes, why am I constantly thirsty?

I dont have diabetes, recently had a ct scan bc they thought I have appendicitis, found nothing. For 3 months ive been bloated on my right side, feel as though my kidneys are hurting, or stomach bloating. I also drink a ton of water.. yet.... I am always thirsty and urinate alot but I am not diabetic? whats going on. My pee in the morning is dark as well.
Overall, I don't think that I can think of a single condition that can explain all of these symptoms and I recommend that you speak with your primary care doctor. Dealing first with your thirst, certainly diabetes mellitus is one of the conditions that causes excess thirst. Diabetes mellitus is the diabetes that you think of when you think of diabetes. It is the so-called sugar diabetes. However, there is another condition that has the word diabetes in it called diabetes insipidus. Diabetes insipidus is a disease of either the kidneys or the pituitary gland in the brain. It causes the kidneys to release way too much water which then results in excess thirst and excess urination. However, it usually does not result in urine becoming dark (it is mostly clear with diabetes insipidus). With your abdominal pain and your dark urine, I am concerned a little bit that you might have something going on with your liver. Liver disease can cause darkening of the urine and if you are having pain in the right side, this needs to be potentially addressed. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician for further evaluation of these problems. It is possible that you will need some blood work and an ultrasound of the abdomen. Good luck.

• Dr. Paul Leitner
    Dr. Paul Leitner MD
    8540 South Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90045
  • Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa
    Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217
  • Dr. Brian Price
    Dr. Brian Price MD
    3607 Manor Rd
    Austin, TX 78723