ZocdocAnswersIs this a problem with my gallbladder?

Question

Is this a problem with my gallbladder?

I have been extremely sick for right at 12 months now. Vomiting and diarrhea at first.. now on top of those symptoms I have horrible pain from my right side under my ribs all the way through to my shoulder blades. I belch and burp all day and more so towards night, I hurt worse. Just today even my right arm has started to cramp and hurt and the more I throw up the more it burns.

Answer

Because gallbladder stones are so common, right upper quadrant pain as you describe is usually worked up first by looking for gallstones. The symptoms of gallstones vary widely. Many patients have them, but never have symptoms at all. Those that have symptoms typically have right upper quadrant abdominal pain and some nausea or vomiting usually after eating a meal. The larger and fattier the meal the worse the pain and other symptoms. Diarrhea is not a symptom of gallbladder problems unless the gallbladder was removed, then diarrhea can result. Belching and burping all they are also not symptoms of gallbladder problems. Gallbladder pain does radiate to the shoulder blade, so that part of your symptoms is consistent. I think you would benefit from scheduling an appointment with your primary care physician. The first thing you need is a detailed physical exam to look for where your pain is located. The second thing that you might benefit from is a right upper quadrant ultrasound. This is the most sensitive test to look for gallstones. If gallstones are not found, then the source of your pain must be somewhere else. A comprehensive metabolic panel and the gastroenterology referral are usually the next steps after the ultrasound.