ZocdocAnswersMy licensed midwife said I had lots of beautiful pearls on my ovaries, what are pearls and how could I have gotten them?

Question

My licensed midwife said I had lots of beautiful pearls on my ovaries, what are pearls and how could I have gotten them?

Im 17 weeks pregnant with my first child. When i was between 6-8 weeks i had a sono, got to see the baby and hear the heartbeat. She went to look to see if she could tell which ovary the egg might have came from and said she cant tell because both my ovaries are covered in them. I forgot to ask. Do you think, you can shed some light because everything i have searched for doesn't look like my pearls nor am i apparently infertile.. Can you help. what are pearls how could i have gotten them.

Answer

Your midwife has decided to use a term that is not typically used in medicine and I recommend that you speak with an OB/GYN.. There is no medical term for pearls on your ovaries. However, what I believe she is referring to is the corpus luteum. The corpus luteum is a structure within the ovary that is left over after ovulation. If conception occurs the corpus luteum sticks around and becomes the sole source of progesterone which is a hormone that is needed to maintain a pregnancy. If pregnancy is not achieved during a cycle, the corpus luteum degenerates allowing for the next cycle to start. Thus, when your midwife was looking for the corpus luteum she was looking for which ovary ovulated allowing you to achieve pregnancy. The fact that she wasn't able to see it has no bearing on this pregnancy or your ability to achieve pregnancy in the future. I always refer my patients that become pregnant to an OB/GYN. This is because pregnancy can carry complications and midwives are not able to perform C-sections. Even if you decide to have a midwife delivery of your baby, you should always have an OB/GYN on board to help in any emergency situation that might come around. Good luck.