ZocdocAnswersMy lower left abdomen has been in pain for a few days. How concerned do I need to be?

Question

My lower left abdomen has been in pain for a few days. How concerned do I need to be?

My lower left abdomen has been in pain for a few days. It's sore to the touch and gets worse when I move. I have done anything strenuous. I don't really have any other symptoms. It randomly becomes sharp and I've tried antiacids and Antigas stuff. Pain pills don't help either. I had gastric bypass 3.5 months ago too.

Answer

Thank you very much for your question. I suggest that you see your primary care physician or contact your bariatric surgeon. Abdominal pain is a very common complaint in many age groups with a wide possibility of causes. Depending on your age, past medical history, and other risk factors, you may have diverticulitis, inflammation of small outpouching in your colon. You may have constipation. You may have a muscle strain. Given your history of gastric bypass, one consideration that is often not a factor in other people is the possibility of an internal hernia. When a gastric bypass is performed, it creates new pockets of space within your abdomen through which loops of your bowel can pass. If a loop of bowel passes through one of these spaces, it can become stuck and cause an obstruction and abdominal pain. Furthermore, having a gastric bypass places at risk for developing a marginal ulcer, an ulceration of your stomach or small bowel that occurs near your bypass connection. The risk of you developing an ulcer increases if you consume alcohol, smoke, or take medications such as ibuprofen or naproxen. It is not possible to receive a diagnosis without being evaluated by a physician. Again, I suggest that you see your primary care physician or contact your bariatric surgeon for further evaluation.