Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have a continuos pain in my left knee, how could I treat it?"

ZocdocAnswersI have a continuos pain in my left knee, how could I treat it?


I have undergone M.R.I of my left knee with the following impressions 1. Minimal Left Knee Joint Effusion 2. Grade II meniscal signal (intrasubstance meniscal tear / meniscal degeberation) in the posterior horn of medial meniscus. --------------------- What would be the solution to get rid of my pain as pain is not very severe but continuous and its irritating. I would like to avoid surgery since i am only 27 years old.


I am sorry to hear about your pain, as it sounds like it is having a significant impact on your life. In order to make accurate recommendations on how to manage your symptoms, a doctor would need to review your entire medical history and perform a physical exam. In addition, the doctor would need to review the actual images of your knee MRI. Only after collecting this information would it be possible to proceed. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon to discuss this further. Based on the information you have provided, it sounds like you have suffered a tear to your meniscus. The meniscus is a disc of cartilage that helps cushion your knee joints. Damage to this is often associated with a fluid collection, or effusion, which you also have. Cartilage receives minimal blood flow and does not typically heal on its own. Meniscus pain can be managed through physical therapy and oral analgesics, such as tylenol and ibuprofen. The safety of these depends on your other medical issues, and you would need to discuss this with an orthopedist. In patient with refractory pain or evidence of arthritis, surgery is often required. Again, I strongly encourage you to discuss this with an orthopedic surgeon.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.