ZocdocAnswersFor the pass two days, I've been having pain on the right side of my lower abdomen, what could it be?

Question

For the pass two days, I've been having pain on the right side of my lower abdomen, what could it be?

It hurts mostly on the right side

Answer

There are several possible explanation of your right lower quadrant abdominal pain. I recommend that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor to be evaluated. The kidney, ovary, colon, and appendix are located there. A urinary tract infection (UTI) can be possible since bacteria can travel from the tip of the urethra all the way to the kidney. UTI's can cause more pain when you are urinating. If it reaches the kidneys, it can be associated with fevers, nausea, and vomiting. Kidney stones can also cause pain that is one sided. The pain is usually severe and sharp. If you are a woman, your ovaries can develop cyst that can rupture or twist (called ovarian torsion ) that can cause pain. If you are sexually active, you should also ensure that you are not pregnant. The appendix is located on the right lower quadrant. If you have an appendicitis, it can start with periumbilical pain that migrates to the right lower quadrant if your appendix ruptures. It can be associated with nausea, vomiting, and fevers. Lastly, a hernia could be possible, which is an outpouching of the intestine (colon). It is usually associated with a bulge in that region and pain when you are bending. You should make an appointment with your primary care doctor to have your symptoms evaluated. They can do a simple physical exam and analyze your urine for infection and pregnancy.