ZocdocAnswersWart on toe was hit accidentally and was bleeding/hurt for a little bit. Should I see a doctor?

Question

Wart on toe was hit accidentally and was bleeding/hurt for a little bit. Should I see a doctor?

wart on toe hit accidentally yesterday, was bleeding/hurt for a little bit now red around it. Is this normal? Should wait to see a doctor if needed?

Answer

To start with, warts on the toe are not normal so it would definitely be a good idea to see a primary care doctor about this. Although warts can sometimes bleed with even minimal trauma, if you hit your toe hard enough to cause bleeding, it is generally a good idea to have the area examined to make sure that you didn't cause any additional injury. If you are walking normally it sounds like you probably will not need Xray evaluation, but it is always a good idea to have a physician assess and make sure that you didn't injure yourself more seriously than you realized. In addition, in speaking with your physician, you should be able to develop a treatment plan for the wart on your toe (and any other warts that may be present on your feet!). These are likely plantar warts caused by a strain of the human papilloma virus, but that doesn't meant that you have to live with the infection. There are many ways to remove warts and make your feet more comfortable (and eliminate the unnecessary cosmetic side effects). Your doctor can go over your general health history and help you decide on the best course of treatment.