ZocdocAnswersHow long can one live with esophageal cancer?

Question

How long can one live with esophageal cancer?

My father has been diagnosed with Esophageal cancer which has spread to his liver, bones, Splean and blood. He had throat cancer 3 years ago and the all clear for 2 years until 2 weeks ago when he was told he had terminal Esophageal cancer and I would like a realistic time scale please?

Answer

Thank you for your question. I am very sorry to hear about your father. There is quite a bit of information that goes into answering this question that makes me wary of answering in too much detail. In general, with this sort of information you should speak with your doctor as there may be factors that affect individual survival. Additionally, there are many clinical trials that patients can enter that have the potential of improving survival and helping to maximize the quality of life that remains. There are many resources available online that can help to answer this question as well, and will provide more information than we can provide in this context. In general, survival is given with regards to time, and the percentage of patients that are expected to live to that time. For example, with metastatic (widespread) cancer of the esophagus, there is some data that suggest that less than 5% of those patients will be alive within 5 years. More specific information can be found at some of the websites at different hospitals (for example, the Cleveland Clinic website). Most importantly, speaking with your doctor will help you to get the answers that you need. Please speak with your doctor.