ZocdocAnswersA time ago, my friend fell on my neck and it didn't hurt. Now it's starting to hurt badly, what is wrong with me?

Question

A time ago, my friend fell on my neck and it didn't hurt. Now it's starting to hurt badly, what is wrong with me?

My friend fell on my neck and it's been a year and it wasn't that much pain but now in 2013 my neck is starting hurt even worse I can't even move my head up. What is wrong with my neck?

Answer

Thank you for your question, and I am sorry to hear about your pain. I hope that you can begin to feel better soon. The best thing to do in this situation is to speak with your doctor. Neck pain is a very complex issue, that is not fully understood even by all of the doctors and surgeons that treat it. While we understand that certain trauma and injuries can predispose people to having serious problems, there is much variability between different people about what can lead to pain and disability in the future. The injury that you seem to have sustained could have nothing or everything to do with your current symptoms, and it may be impossible to tell. The one thing that I can suggest is that you should speak with your doctor if you are having pain, and especially if you are not able to function as you were able to previously. Neck injuries, and any trauma to the spine, can be very severe and result in lifelong problems if not treated appropriately and in a timely fashion. Neurologists, neurosurgeons, and orthopedic surgeons all can be helpful in treating your symptoms, as can physical therapists working under their guidance. Please speak to your doctor very soon to get the help that you need.