Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I'm suffering from a back pain, what is wrong with me?"

ZocdocAnswersI'm suffering from a back pain, what is wrong with me?


Hello Everyone, i'm suffering from a back pain a long time ago, It started with knees pain, doctor advised me to go for a run, walks, when i did that a lower back pain started to appear, and knees pain was healed, with the back pain by time i started to feel tightness in my back, i crash it a lot, in the morning it hurts a lot, after a hot shower it feels great for couple of hours, at night its fine, The thing is, i'm not sure what's going on is the muscles Tight or weak? any advises? I'd really appreciate help, thank you.


Please visit your physician to discuss this issue. It sounds to me like you may be suffering from muscle spasms in the back. This is the most common cause of low back pain. Often people with this kind of low back pain have some degree of degenerative disc disease (arthritis) in the low back. This kind of problem can result in muscle spasms that can be quite painful. Muscle spasms often feel better after stretching, exercising, or in your case a hot shower. The most effective treatment for this kind of back pain is physical therapy. When a patient approaches me with low back pain that does not radiate into the legs I usually refer them to physical therapy to learn how to perform core muscle exercises of the low back. After learning and performing these exercises, most people report that the low back pain goes away and does not return. Sometimes I also prescribed mild pain medication such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. If the low back pain ever begins radiating into the legs or if somebody develops weakness or numbness or tingling then I will often order a lumbar spine MRI. The best physician for you to see about this problem is a physiatrist. This type of physician is very skilled at managing all types of low back pain from the simple cases to the more complex cases that might require epidural steroid injections.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.