ZocdocAnswersI have had heavy bleeding and clotting for almost 48 hr. Should I be concerned?

Question

I have had heavy bleeding and clotting for almost 48 hr. Should I be concerned?

I'm going thru a super plus tampon with a heavy flow pad every 45 mins.

Answer

That is an excellent question and one that is best answered in an urgent care setting or by your primary care doctor as soon as possible. There are several causes for the symptoms you are having, and unfortunately, because of the limited information, it is not possible to diagnose the cause of this from the information provided. For this reason, it is best that you are evaluated by your primary care doctor or other medical professional as soon as possible as this amount of heavy bleeding is serious and can be caused by something underlying it or a problem with the coagulation system in your blood that is causing you to have such uncontrolled bleeding. Regardless of the underlying cause, continuous heavy bleeding can lead to low blood pressure, anemia, and even more serious consequences if not diagnosed and treated in a timely manner. It is for this reason that an urgent evaluation is recommended to find the cause of this bleeding and treat it. You may require admission to the hospital or even a blood transfusion depending on your age, other health problems. and what the clinical scenario is related to this bleeding.