ZocdocAnswersI feel pressure in my ear, what is wrong?

Question

I feel pressure in my ear, what is wrong?

I had a cold a couple days ago and after it went away my right ear keeps feelin like their is pressure in it I tryed the Valvasa maneuver and it only helped a little bit i still can't hear as good out of it as I used to before it felt like their was preasure so what can I do to get rid of this feeling

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you had a cold a few days ago and developed ear pressure that does not seem to be going away. I am happy to give you some of my thoughts about what might be going on, but ultimately I am going to recommend that you make an appointment to be evaluated by an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician. They will be able to examine you which I am not able to do. My best guess about what is likely going on is that you have some persistent eustachian tube dysfunction after your cold. The virus causes inflammation in the mucosa within your nose and sinuses, and this inflammation can negatively affect the function of the eustachian tube. the normal function of the eustachian tube is to bring air from the back of your nose to your middle ear to equilibrate the pressure in your middle ear with atmospheric pressure. If this doesn't work properly, then there is negative pressure in your middle ear, impairing the function of your ear drum, and dampening your hearing (similar to changing elevation when flying or driving through the mountains). Sometimes nasal decongestant sprays will help speed along the recovery process after a cold, but this is normally a self limiting process. The ENT will be able to examine you and tell you if in fact this is what is going on.