ZocdocAnswersMy 1 year old woke up with a red face, what could it be?

Question

My 1 year old woke up with a red face, what could it be?

she also just got over a fever and she has a little bit of a rash

Answer

There are several causes of a red face, so I recommend that you speak with your doctor. But one of the most common is to wake up with a red face because a person has been laying on that side of the face or lying face down. Another common cause is the effect of a Valsalva maneuver, which is usually known as "bearing down." This action will increase venous blood flow to the head and neck, leaving the face more red than usual. This increased blood flow can also happen by crying. Usually, these simple explanations for a red face will resolve over a period of minutes if it is nothing more than a positional problem or increased blood flow. The thing to be worried about would be if there are additional symptoms, or the redness does not resolve by itself very quickly, which would require further investigation. In light of the fact that she has been ill recently, it could be that this is another effect of her virus. Some viruses can lead to rashes, sore throats, and rashes on the face that can be quite red. It is hard to know exactly what is the cause of the redness without more information. Again, please speak with your doctor about this.