ZocdocAnswersI fart more often than normal, is there anything I should do?

Question

I fart more often than normal, is there anything I should do?

hi - i have a problem with gas - i fart more than normal - about 4 times every 15 minutes. i have also got bloated and a few months ago i heard a pop and my stomach got bigger - do i need anything?

Answer

Sorry to hear about your problem. This can obviously impact your social confidence and your ability to interact with others, so it is important that you get some answers and appropriate treatment, which is why it is important that you speak with your doctor. Also, it can be a sign of something more that is occurring within your digestive tract. For example, some people with lactose intolerance can have some of the problems that you are describing when they ingest dairy products. Others can have similar problems due to a number of food allergies or intolerances, all of which can be adjusted or treated in most instances. A gastroenterologist would likely be able to help you understand what is causing these symptoms and would be able to help you recover from them more quickly. He or she may recommend some further testing after speaking with you in more detail, but they would also be able to gather much information just from talking with you further about when these symptoms started and how they have changed over time. Please speak with your doctor and determine if a referral to a GI doctor is appropriate for you.