ZocdocAnswersMy penis is having extreme sharp pains, what should I do?

Question

My penis is having extreme sharp pains, what should I do?

My penis is having extreme sharp pains in the right side of the shaft. I have recently started to masturbate. I do not have any problem urinating nor does it hurt to. I also have a tickling sensation in the head of the penis and it is getting annoying. Please help!

Answer

I am sorry you are experiencing these symptoms. I strongly encourage you to see your primary care doctor to ensure you do not have a serious condition, as it is not possible to provide a definitive diagnosis without an in-person evaluation. Several sexually transmitted diseases can cause penile discomfort near the urethral meatus, or hole through which you urinate. Chlamydia and gonorrhea are two common examples. Urinary tract infections are less common in men than in women but can occur, although they are often accompanied by discomfort while urinating. An infection of the head of the penis, or balanitis, can also cause discomfort. Men who are uncircumcised can also develop infections under the foreskin, especially if this area is not kept clean and dry. You should discuss these possibilities with your physician to determine if if any additional testing, such as a urine sample, is warranted. Men can also develop Peyronie's disease, which is an abnormal buildup of cartilage in the shaft of the penis. This can be triggered by trauma, possibly through masturbation. In this condition, men may experience discomfort and abnormal penis curvature. I recommend you bring this up with your primary care physician. You will need a thorough history and physical exam to help determine the precise cause of your symptoms. Depending on these findings, you may require referral to a urologist.