Can I take B vitamins in place of prescription Folbic?

I take prescription Folbic tablet to treat a clotting disorder. It contains folic acid, b6, and b12. Is there any reason I could not just take the appropriate folic acid, b6 and b12 as vitamin supplements? Insurance does not cover Folbic and thus would be cheaper to purchase the individual supplements.
Thank you for this insightful question. I recommend that you speak with your doctor about this concern. In most instances, your doctor will prescribe medications based on what is inside of them rather than the specific formulation. In other words, your doctor wants you to have those vitamins rather than that specific Folbic tablet. Most doctors, pharmacies, and of course insurance companies, will therefore assume that a less expensive version or formulation is appropriate, making generic options the preferred route. There are exceptions, however, in which case your doctor will write "dispense as written." The best thing that you can do is call your doctors office to confirm that you can move forward with your plan just to make sure. This will allow you to make sure that there is nothing specific to the formulation of Folbic tablets or some specific value that your doctor was anticipating by dosing the medicine like that. Most likely, he or she was thinking that a single tablet would be easier for you to take and remember rather than having to take different pills regularly. Please speak with your doctor about this question to make sure that you get the answer that you need and understand your doctor's recommendations fully before making a change.

• Dr. Robert Domaleski
    Dr. Robert Domaleski MD
    8200 E. Belleview Avenue
    Greenwood Village, CO 80111
  • Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa
    Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217
  • Dr. Martin Molina
    Dr. Martin Molina MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217