ZocdocAnswersWhy did I blackout then my mouth went numb?

Question

Why did I blackout then my mouth went numb?

Hello, I was driving home from a friend's house and I got this funny feeling in my head and then everything starting going black. I was able to pull over just in time before everything went black. I could hear everything and could move, I just couldn't see. My 5 year old son asked me if I was ok and asked him to give me just a few minutes while I was rubbing my eyes. After a minute I could see again but was blurry. I came straight home and called my mom. While talking to her my tongue and mouth went numb and I hung up on her. Now I just feel very weak....no energy at all. Do you have any theories?

Answer

Please speak with your doctor immediately or seek immediate medical attention. While it is hard to know for sure what has caused your symptoms, they are concerning. Some common things that can cause people to lose vision and consciousness include strokes and seizures, both of which can be quite dangerous if not treated in an appropriate fashion. There are also mini-strokes, which can seem to come on like a stroke but then resolve spontaneously. These are also known as transient ischemic attacks, and can often be a sign of a medical condition that requires more aggressive treatment. There are other things as well, some of which include medication changes, drug overdoses, heart problems, vasovagal episodes (which can be the cause of some fainting spells), and many other things. All of these can range from either very serious to very benign, but none of them should be neglected. In the absence of a past medical history of similar problems that help you to know what might be happening, it is important to get the help that you need to be able to make sure that you are well. Please speak with your doctor about this recent episode, and please do so in the very near future.