Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"How can I develop more of a manly voice?"

ZocdocAnswersHow can I develop more of a manly voice?


Hello. I am 18 year old guy and have "valley girl" accent. It might sound silly but it really bothers me. People often assume im gay (which im not). I dont have a high voice but its the way I speak that is the issue. I am not overly masculine but I would not consider myself girly in other ways besides my voice. I was reading about ways to change that, like changing where you put the accents and not dragging out your words. I was wondering if you had any other tips to help. I know this is random but I hope to hear back from you!


Thank you for your question. There are many different places that you can turn to for help, and I hope that you are able to find the help that you need. Most often, working with a speech therapist, vocal therapist, or vocal coach can provide you with the feedback that you need to have the changes that you are looking for. This is especially beneficial because that person and yourself can develop a relationship that will allow for multiple sessions of working with someone to make sure that you are making the progress that you are after. He or she will also be able to provide you with specific actions that you can practice on your own time. Please do check with someone before you begin treatment, however, as not all speech therapists will feel qualified to help you with this problem. If you are more concerned about the anatomic levels of your voice creation, an ear nose and throat surgeon (AKA ENT AKA otolaryngology-head and neck surgeon) will best be able to help you, specifically a laryngologist. There are surgical procedures that can be done to change the pitch of your voice slightly if it is needed. Please speak with your doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.