ZocdocAnswersI took 1mg Ativan at 6:30pm another at 12am and another at 4:15 am. Will I be ok?

Question

I took 1mg Ativan at 6:30pm another at 12am and another at 4:15 am. Will I be ok?

I took 3 Ativan today one 1mg at 6:30pm another at 12:00am and another one at 4:15am will I be ok

Answer

Ativan is a type of medication that is often prescribed for anxiety and in some cases for insomnia. It is a medication that acts in the brain similar to alcohol inhibiting nerve function. Taking too much Ativan can be dangerous because it can cause significant somnolence and can slow down your respiratory rate. In extreme circumstances, it can even cause someone to stop breathing altogether. So it is important that you speak with the physician who prescribed Ativan to you. The amount of Ativan that you took was a large amount, but not outside what many people are prescribed. The real question is if this is a medication that you are tolerant to. If Ativan is a medication that you have been on for some time and you are used to taking 1 to 2 mg per day, then it is unlikely that taking 3 mg will cause any significant problems. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician, or whichever physician prescribed you the Ativan. I think it is important for you to understand exactly how often you are allowed to take this medication. In general, Ativan taken as a pill will last between four and six hours. Thus, most physicians will prescribe it to be used as needed and can be taken up to 3-4 times per day in extreme circumstances.