Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have a raised, flat piece of skin on the outer labia that doesn't hurt. What could it be?"

ZocdocAnswersI have a raised, flat piece of skin on the outer labia that doesn't hurt. What could it be?


It is only a little itchy and sore if I mess with it. I didn't even notice it until today. It has a white outlining to it when I open up my vulva to look at it. You can see that it doesn't look the same on the other side of the labia, so thats why I don't think it's just part of how my skin is.


I recommend that you see a physician. One cause of a new skin growth is a skin tag, which is just a little skin growth that can appear on any part of the body. These are generally benign (i.e. not cancerous) and harmless, but can cause symptoms if they get irritated or chaffed. There can, however, be other skin growths in the vulva or vaginal area that are abnormal. Vulvar warts will present as small skin growths on the vulvar skin, usually with some scaling of the skin and possibly some itching. There can be vulvar lesions that are either malignant or premalignant, and can include vulvar dysplasia or cancer, squamous skin cancers, and even melanomas.Some sexually transmitted diseases can cause vulvar lesions; for example, syphilis can cause what's called a 'chancroid' which is a raised painless lesion, and molluscum contagiosum can cause small raised bumps. Finally, some systemic inflammatory conditions such as Behcet's disease can cause vulvar lesions, though these are typically accompanied by other symptoms and are often painful. Given this range of possibilities I would strongly recommend that you see a physician so they can examine the lesion and determine whether any further diagnostic testing is necessary, and whether this lesion requires treatment or can simply be observed.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.