Is there an Ambien-like anxiety Rx without sedative effects?

Ok so, Ambien works wonders for my anxiety, but obviously cannot be taken safely during the day. I hate the way benzo's take away my personality and completely sedate me. I read that the pharmaceutical industry was creating new compounds of anxiolytic drugs that are non-sedating (& no amnesia), but derived from the same structural families as the Z-drugs. There were trials with drugs such as alpidem and pagoclone, but I don't believe either are available anymore. Does anyone know if there are any Nonbenzodiazepine anti-anxiety drugs that have Ambien-like effects? I read something about BuSpar (buspirone), but I don't believe it's mechanism of action is related.
First of all, I must say that I do not know any physicians that use Ambien for anxiety so I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss your question. While it does have a similar mechanism of action as other benzodiazepines which are used for anxiety, Ambien is only used for insomnia. I can certainly appreciate why you would not want to use a benzodiazepine or any other related drug during the day. They can make you groggy, and reduce your efficiency at work. This is why I discourage the use is much is possible. In terms of better medication for anxiety, the absolute best class of medications for anxiety is the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. These are also known as SSRIs. An SSRI is a medication that is typically is for depression but works wonders for generalized anxiety and even better for panic disorder which is an anxiety type disorder. Examples of an SSRI include sertraline also known as Zoloft and citalopram also known as Celexa. These medications must be taken daily at a low dose with slow escalations of doses over the course of a month to see any positive effects. They will not provide you with any relief of your anxiety immediately. Buspirone is an anti-anxiety medication that is slightly different then the benzodiazepines, but it is still taken as needed and can cause sedation. I do not think that you will find this medication satisfactory. Again, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care doctor to further discuss this issue. Alternatively if you have a psychiatrist you can schedule an appointment with him or her.

Other Psychiatrists