ZocdocAnswersDoes holding in urine stunt growth in puberty?

Question

Does holding in urine stunt growth in puberty?

does holding in urine stunts growth in puberty? such as a hour for weeks on end

Answer

I recommend that you schedule an appointment with your primary care doctor or pediatrician to discuss your concern. Generally speaking, I have not heard of any connection between holding in your urine voluntarily and anything to do with growth or puberty. In fact, it is quite unusual for someone to ever develop any kind of a problem from voluntarily holding in urine. This is because by the time it were to become any kind of major problem, the sensation is so painful that nobody keeps holding it in. It's barely possible to do. In cases where there is external urinary obstruction as with men who have an enlarged prostate, the urine is being held in involuntarily. In these cases the bladder can enlarge with large volumes of urine and back up in the kidneys. In these cases of kidney failure or kidney damage can occur especially if this is problem occurs over a long period of time. However, in young people without these problems, it would be very unusual for someone to be able to hold in urine for that long to cause that kind of damage. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care doctor. If you're a minor, then you might want to have your parents schedule an appointment with your pediatrician. This is the best doctor to talk to about all issues associated with growth in puberty.