ZocdocAnswersWhat is this on my lip?

Question

What is this on my lip?

I have a bump on my bottom lip. It's just one bump, kind of round. I have a speech to do tomorrow so I tried sticking a pin in it yesterday (I know I shouldn't have but I was hoping it wasn't a cold sore) and all it was bleed and get bigger. Today, I tried squeezing it and a clear, water-like fluid came out... What is this?????

Answer

Thank you for your question. There are many possible explanations for this sort of problem, which always seem to pop up before someone has to do something important in front of other people. The best thing to do is to speak with your doctor. In fact, the timing of the spot can be very telling, as there are some kinds of sores and spots that can pop up when people are stressed out. One example of this can be cold sores, which are caused by a herpes virus that can remain dormant for some time and then lead to symptoms during times of stress or other low immune protection. Other examples include some versions of stomatitis (such as canker sores) and many other ailments. Of course, trauma and other problems are other common causes of the symptoms that you are describing, and so you may need to speak with a doctor to help this improve as quickly as possible. In general, trying to pop something with a needle can potentially make things worse, as can trying to pop them by squeezing them. The clear fluid that came out could be a sign of inflammation in the tissues. All told, the best bet to help this get better faster is to speak with your doctor. Please speak with your doctor.