Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"I have blisters around my anus that look like canker sores, what could be the cause?"


I have a severe uti and have been on antibiotics


The blisters that you have around your anus could be any number of things. The only way to find out what they are is to have a physician examine them. One possibility is genital herpes.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Primary care-doctors near you

Herpes causes blisters in the genital area that often are painful and have a burning sensation. One might say that they kind of look like canker sores. If you have recently been sexually active, especially with the new partner, then this is a possibility. I don't think that there would be an association between these blisters in a UTI. I suggest that you that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. If you or she thinks that it might be genital herpes, then your doctor will do one of several things. First, you might get blood tests to see if you have been exposed to one of the strains of herpes simplex virus which can be supportive data if your doctor suspects that is what is the cause. Another option is if there are active blisters your doctor might be with a sample them and send them off for a smear or for culture to get a more definitive diagnosis. If it does end up being herpes, then you can get a prescription for one of the preventative medications.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.