ZocdocAnswersWhat are small bumps in the roof my mouth?

Question

What are small bumps in the roof my mouth?

So I woke up and there was three small bumps on the roof inside my mouth. They hurt if pressure was applied on it. They were red no white dots or other colors just red. Then the next day they went away and now there are two cuts on the roof of my mouth. They hurt a lot and a bit swollen. I'm wondering if the bumps formed because the cuts got infected. But I did not notice I got a cut in the first place I never really ate anything that gave me a cut. U also have a cold sore on the bottom middle of my bottom teeth and that hurts a lot. Is this oral herpes also by any chance?

Answer

Thank you for your question. I recommend that you speak to a doctor, and he or she will begin to think of possible causes of a problem. The sudden nature of the spots appearing inside of your mouth may be indicative of either some sort of trauma or some sort of infection. As you do not recall any trauma (although some foods, including those such as hot or spicy foods can do the same thing), it makes us think about infection. There are many different kinds of infection that can cause sores on the roof of the mouth. Many common viruses can affect this area, and if you have an active infection with one type of virus in the same vicinity it may be reasonable to at least consider the odds that the same virus is affecting the roof of your mouth. Of course, there could be many other explanations for what you are describing, and so it is important to discuss this problem with your doctor. He or she will be able to advise you of what needs to be done to fully diagnose your problem and also to treat the problem if that is warranted. Please speak to your doctor.