ZocdocAnswersHow long does it take for a scar to heal?

Question

How long does it take for a scar to heal?

Hi, i had some minor cuts while i went through depression. Gladly i was just curious not for depression. I regret every single second of cutting. What worries me most is the scars. I have darker skin (tannish) and my scars are white. This happened a month ago. They were very minor scars and they werent deep. Please in any case tell me an estimate of how long it will fade. Thank you.

Answer

Thank you for your question. I am sorry for the distress your scars have caused, and I am glad that phase of your life is over. In order to provide an accurate assessment of how long your scars will take to heal and what you can do to facilitate the healing process, a doctor would need to review your entire medical history as well as perform a physical exam to actually see the scars. Therefore, I recommend you schedule an appointment with a primary care doctor. After collecting this information, the doctor can make recommendations on the best way to move forward. There are many different factors that can affect scar resolution. As you mention, one's baseline skin tone will affect the appearance of scars. Sometimes wounds lead to keloid formation, which is excessive tissue deposition in response to trauma. This can lead to very large scars. Treatment sometimes include injections into the scar tissue or surgical removal. Patients with baseline connective tissue disorders such as Marfan's disease or Ehlers-Danlos may experience abnormal scar healing. Additionally, other factors such as baseline nutrition, overall health, and immunosuppression will affect scar healing. I encourage you to raise these concerns with a primary care physician.