ZocdocAnswersWhat's the recommended wait time between procedures like high volume caudal & facet injections?

Question

What's the recommended wait time between procedures like high volume caudal & facet injections?

My pain doctor has been giving me the above-mentioned injections twice a week for 5 months. I receive a bit of relief until the numbing agent dissipates. I am nervous because my back pain is approx 30% increased now & I am concerned some serious damage may be occuring. Any advice would be warmly welcomed. Thank you.

Answer

Thank you for your question. Injections can help limit the pain according to some physicians and patients, but they are not generally thought of as a permanent solution. Your specific solution may need to include further discussion with your doctor or additional specialists regarding what the next step can be to improve your symptoms. The fact that you have been undergoing so much for such a long period of time suggests that you may be ready to discuss alternative solutions. There are times that a second opinion can help to provide you with different ideas or the information that you are after. Specifics can vary between different people, and so please speak with your doctor or get a second opinion about the questions that you are asking to make sure that you get the care that you need.