ZocdocAnswersI have pain in the lower abdomen and back. What's the cause?

Question

I have pain in the lower abdomen and back. What's the cause?

I'm a teenager and I've lived with this pain for over a year and a half. It comes and goes. It's in the lower abdomen and back, severe, sudden stabbing in the lower left, affects central and right, radiates down my left leg. I doesn't seem to be diet related. I've been to 2 gynecologists (1 who said I had dysmenorrhea, which I already knew I had and that wasn't the source of the pain), 1 gastroentomologist (who put me on a 3 month diary free plan to no avail, then diagnosed me as lactose intolerant, completely ignoring the past 3 months of pain without eating dairy), my primary physician, the ER twice, had 2 ultrasounds, 3 urine tests, and bloodwork. All inconclusive. The pain get worse with intense exercise, cold, full bladder ( already tested negative twice for uri). helps ease the pain is lying down with a heating pad and taking painkillers. While having the pain, a bowel movement becomes painful and movement results in more pain. another fact is add is heavy, painful long periods.

Answer

Thanks for your question. There are many potential explanations for your question, and I am sorry to hear that you have yet to be successful in finding an answer to your questions. I recommend that you speak with your doctor about your concern. One of the common causes of abnormal menses, abdominal pain, and many other vague symptoms that severely affect quality of life is endometriosis. There is quite a bit of information available about endometriosis on the internet. Briefly, this is a condition that stems from ectopic uterine tissue. In other words, the lining of the uterus, or cells that would normally line the uterus, grow in abnormal locations. The gold standard to confirm this diagnosis is a surgical procedure to look inside of your abdomen, but there are many tests that can be used to find out more about whether or not you may have this condition. Other possibilities include nerve pain that can happen in your lower back, as well as some infections. At this point, it may be worth speaking with your doctor about a referral to a tertiary care hospital to see if there is a doctor there that may be able to help with your difficult condition. Please speak with your doctor.