ZocdocAnswersI was a mono carrier as a child, will my daughter need to be tested?

Question

I was a mono carrier as a child, will my daughter need to be tested?

I was a mono carrier as a child and got my tonsils removed 4 years after diagnosis. Will my daughter's need to be tested?

Answer

I recommend that you schedule an appointment with your primary care doctor. Generally speaking, unless your daughter has symptoms that would be consistent with mononucleosis, she does not need to be tested for the virus. Mononucleosis is not a type of infection that is passed down from mother to daughter such as a typical genetic disease. When you say that you are a carrier for mononucleosis I assume what you mean is that you had the infection at one time. After about a month when the immune system has had a chance to take over and control the infection, you are no longer contagious. This means that you will pass the infection to anybody family member or other. However, mononucleosis is a very common type of infection and if your child does have symptoms then she should be tested. Typical symptoms of mononucleosis include fevers, fatigue, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat, and sometimes abdominal pain. The symptoms do tend to regress over a period of a month. I typically recommend to my patients that they avoid contact sports within six months after the infection because sometimes the spleen can a large which makes it susceptible to rupture. In addition shortly after the infection I recommend that they avoid mouth-to-mouth contact with other people which is the primary way in which the virus is spread. Again, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or her pediatrician.