ZocdocAnswersI have a breast rash, what could it be?

Question

I have a breast rash, what could it be?

I keep getting a burning and stinging rash under my breasts. It usually lasts 6-8 weeks then goes then returns a few weeks later. This rash is really awkward and uncomfortable. I am slim and have small breasts and I dont sweat in that area really. I have tried creams from pharmacy but none make the healing process any easier. What could this be? They always come back and have done for a couple of years. Thanks

Answer

A rash under the breasts is a very common condition, and in order to properly diagnose what is exactly going on, it is important for you to make an appointment to see your doctor. The appearance of the rash is an important factor in making the correct diagnosis and providing the correct treatment. Having said that, the two most common underlying causes for a rash below the breasts is a yeast infection or a contact dermatitis. Although it may seem that you are not perspiring under your breasts, this is a very common area to accumulate sweat, even if you do not have large breasts. One way to prevent sweat accumulation in the area is to apply antiperspirant under your breasts after you shower. However, if you have already developed a rash, a yeast infection rash will look like little red bumps that can be burning and stinging (as you describe). If this were the case, you could treat this with miconazole cream and water compresses, and make sure to prevent a recurrence of this rash with the antiperspirant technique (above) or with placing cotton material in the area. However, this could also be a contact dermatitis caused by an allergic reaction to the material in your bra. In that case, you could try using a bra made of different material if the rash is not resolving with the above treatment. And again, it will be important to make an appointment to see your doctor in order for him or her to assess this rash.