Why is my nose still blocked?

Hi. I developed a blocked nose with yellow discharge. It has been 6 days ow and i dont see improvement. It started with a sore throat and by the next day I had yellow discharge from my nose and no change since then. Normally when I get a cold, it lasts for 4 days max. I normally get a runny nose with clear to white discharge, so this time is very different for me. My right side of the face is in main and my ears are blocked. I have an irritating cough. Blood test showed low iron and elevated ferritin. Im on Clorac now. Please help me. Thank you.
I am sorry to hear that you have been dealing with a blocked nose for the past 6 days and that it doesn't seem to be getting any better for you. I am happy to give you some of my initial thoughts about what might be going on, but ultimately I am going to recommend that you make an appointment with an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician, aka otolaryngologist. This is because they will be able to take more of a medical history (which I am obviously not able to do), and they can perform a focused physical exam. They are also well equipped to diagnose and manage sinus diseases which is what you need. My first guess from the information that you have given me, is that you may be developing a sinus infection. Sinusitis, or sinus infections, generally start out with a viral infection. This is because the virus causes mucosal inflammation and blocks the normal flow of mucous. Obstructed mucous can result in bacterial overgrowth and ultimately cause a true sinus infection. Strictly speaking this generally takes about 2 weeks to occur, so we (otolaryngologists) do not generally treat a 'sinus infection' with antibiotics unless the symptoms have been present for at least 2 weeks. When you see an ENT they will be able to evaluate you and see if you actually have sinusitis. Best of luck.

• Dr. Jordan Josephson
    Dr. Jordan Josephson MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    205 East 76th Street
    New York, NY 10021
  • Dr. William Cohen
    Dr. William Cohen DO
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    2501 E Chapman Ave
    Orange, CA 92869
  • Dr. Marc Kayem
    Dr. Marc Kayem MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    465 North Roxbury Drive
    Beverly Hills, CA 90210