ZocdocAnswersDo I have hemorrhoids or anogenital warts?

Question

Do I have hemorrhoids or anogenital warts?

For a month or two, I have noticed a group of small bumps/growths around my anus. These bumps range from extremely small, to the largest being the size of a pea if not a little smaller. My other symptoms have included pain and discomfort, anal bleeding, burning & itching, which is why I believe I may have hemorrhoids. What I'm confused about is the number of bumps? I would guess there is about 10-15, can a person have that many hemorrhoids at once? Please give me any helpful information.

Answer

I would strongly recommend going to see your primary care doctor about this issue. I think you are right that the two major things here on the list of possible causes of your symptoms would be anogenital warts and hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids, as you probably know, are dilated veins in and around the anus. They do tend to burn or itch, and they can also bleed, especially during a bowel movement. They tend not to be as numerous as what you are describing, but they can be irregular in shape, which could explain the number of "bumps" you have detected. Anogenital warts, on the other hand, are less likely to burn, itch, or bleed. On the other hand, they do tend to be more numerous and more "bumpy" than hemorrhoids. It is usually really easy to tell the difference between the two condition with a physical exam. Your doctor should be able to take a quick look and let you know for certain. Once they diagnosis is established, they can also discuss possible treatment options, which could include anti-hemorrhoid creams and treatment for constipation, in the case of hemorrhoids, or potentially removal, in the case of warts. Make an appointment today!