ZocdocAnswersDo I have an UTI?

Question

Do I have an UTI?

hurts really bad to pee and pain in lower stomach.. clitoris hurts all the time and feels irritated and swollen

Answer

Your symptoms certainly sound like they could be due to a urinary tract infection, so I recommend that you speak with your primary care physician. A UTI is an infection that occurs when bacteria moved from outside of the body up through the urethra and into the bladder. The bacteria grow and cause irritation of the bladder and urethra. Typical symptoms include burning with urination, urinary frequency and urgency, pelvic pain, and fever. Sometimes the bacteria can travel up towards the kidneys and when this happens we call this pyelonephritis. The typical symptoms of pyelonephritis include flank pain and fever. While we do not know exactly why urinary tract infections happen in some people and not in others, sexual intercourse certainly can be associated with the infection. I would suggest that with these symptoms you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she will want to perform a urinalysis which is a simple test that can be performed in the office that can tell whether or not an infection is present. A urine culture is also helpful in determining what type of bacteria is present. If the urinalysis shows affection than your doctor will likely want to prescribe an antibiotic. In addition, if you are sexually active and do not use protection than you might be a good idea to also get tested for common STDs that can also cause the symptoms such as chlamydia and gonorrhea.