ZocdocAnswersMy right testicle aches, should I be worried?

Question

My right testicle aches, should I be worried?

Hello, so last week I found a small bump on the back of my right testicle. I promptly went to the doctor, who felt it and said it was nothing to worry about. He sent me in for an ultrasound, and that came back fine as well. However, now (about half a week later) the same testicle is aching slightly. I'd say the pain is about a 1 out of 10, and comes and goes during the day. I was wondering if it is just sore from 2 medical exams and 2 self exams this past week, or if it is something to worry about? Thanks for any advice!

Answer

It sounds like you've had the appropriate work-up for a testicular mass, which includes a physical exam and ultrasound. I recommend that you continue to discuss your concern with your doctor. There are conditions that can cause testicular pain, most notably testicular torsion and epididymitis. Testicular torsion usually occurs after physical activity and causes intense, persistent testicular pain. Epididymitis is an infection of the epididymus (the gland that rests above the testes) and can cause pain as well as other symptoms such as pain with urination or movement, increased frequent of urination, fevers/chills, penile discharge or blood in the semen, and enlarged lymph nodes in the groin on either or both sides. In general these present with more pain than you describe and it is possible that the mild discomfort you're noticing have more to do with the frequency of exams and the attention you're paying to your testicle. However, if you notice any of the symptoms that I've described above, or notice that the pain is getting worse or not improving, I would strongly recommend you go back to your doctor. In particular, testicular torsion is an emergency since it blocks the blood flow to the testicle and can cause the testicle to necrose and die, so if you notice that the pain is a lot worse definitely go in for an examination and for further testing.