I am having throat pain on one side and only for certain vocal activities, what could this be?

I don't have a consistent sore throat or any other cold symptoms. However, I've found that at random times when I am singing, laughing or speaking louder than normal (both just raising my voice and full out yelling) I will get a very sudden sharp severe pain on the left side of my throat. This causes me to stop what I am doing vocally, therefor the pain instantly goes away. Any ideas as to what this could be?
Thanks for your question. This is certainly an interesting question, but not one that is unheard of. There are many potential explanations and I recommend speaking with your doctor to determine the best course of action. The sensation of pain and discomfort is carried by nerves to the brain, which allows the body the chance to alter and adapt to the stimulus in order to protect itself. When this is extrapolated down to the larynx (the part of your throat that is involved in making speech and sound specifically is known as the glottis, with the larynx the broader region of the throat that is closely associated), it is apparent that there are really only a couple of nerves that are involved in sensation. The pain can therefore be readily localized to a specific nerve branch, which can give some clues about the area of the pain. At this point, a physical exam by an ear nose and throat surgeon (AKA ENT AKA otolaryngology head and neck surgeon), specifically a laryngologist, would be necessary to determine if there is anything specifically wrong in that part of your body. He or she may feel that some sort of radiographic imaging would be helpful. Please speak with your doctor to determine your next steps.

• Dr. Kevin Browne
    Dr. Kevin Browne MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    4499 Medical Drive
    San Antonio, TX 78229
  • Dr. John Gilmore
    Dr. John Gilmore MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    10740 N. Central Expressway
    Dallas, TX 75231
  • Dr. Marc Kayem
    Dr. Marc Kayem MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    465 North Roxbury Drive
    Beverly Hills, CA 90210