ZocdocAnswersIs it safe to take ten 500mg of tylenol at once?

Question

Is it safe to take ten 500mg of tylenol at once?

I took that many and I feel light headed. What other things can happen when I take this much? And is it safe?

Answer

Thank you for your interesting question. In order to most accurately comment on the safety of a medication, it is necessary for a doctor to review your entire medical history and also perform a detailed physical exam. Only after collecting this information is it possible to make an accurate recommendation. In your case, acetaminophen overdose is a potentially life threatening condition. I strongly encourage you to see a physician either in an urgent care clinic or in the emergency room as soon as possible. After ingesting acetaminophen, or tylenol, the body uses a molecule called glutathione to help metabolize the drug. When large quantities are ingested, the body's glutathione store is depleted. This makes the body unable to metabolize other toxins that it routinely clears during the course of the day. As a result, patients can develop severe liver failure. In some cases, this liver failure is so severe that patients must be placed on the livery transplant list acutely. Underlying liver disease and other medication interactions can increase the risk of this happening. One of the few treatments available involves either ingestion or intravenous administration of N-acetylcysteine. According to your question, you have exceeded the maximum daily dose of acetaminophen. I strongly encourage you to either see an urgent care physician or visit an emergency room.