ZocdocAnswersMy right arm is itchy but it feels like it's under my skin, what could it be?

Question

My right arm is itchy but it feels like it's under my skin, what could it be?

It feel like it's under my skin but it's not a normal itch and this came 2 days ago

Answer

Thank you for this interesting question. In order to determine the cause, I would need more information. I would need to review your entire medical history and also perform a detailed physical exam, including an exam of the skin area involved. Based on these results, you may need additional testing. Only after collecting this information would it be possible to render a diagnosis. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to see a dermatologist. Itchy skin has many potential causes. Dry skin, which is common in winter months, can cause itchy skin. You may be suffering from eczema, which is a skin condition that often causes dry and itchy skin. Contact dermatitis is essentially an allergic reaction to different substances, such as a new laundry detergent. This can lead to itchy skin. It is possible you came into contact with an irritating chemical or something like poison ivy or poison oak. Some medical conditions can lead to itchiness. A classic example is gallbladder disease, as the buildup of excess bile acids causes an itch. Although rare, certain parasitic infections can lead to parasitic migration through the body, including into the skin layers. It will not be possible to determine the cause of your symptoms without more information, and I strongly encourage you to see a dermatologist.