ZocdocAnswersI have NF1 and I found a lump on my right testicle. Is it cancer and could it make me sterile?

Question

I have NF1 and I found a lump on my right testicle. Is it cancer and could it make me sterile?

i have nf1 and need to know if it can show up on the testecals

Answer

I strongly recommend that you get evaluated by your doctor. Neurofibromatosis, as you know, is a condition that is associated with the growths of small, usually benign tumors around various nerves throughout the body. In addition, there is an association between neurofibromatosis and other types of cancers as well. For example, there is a type of cancer of the, called an optic glioma, which is common in neurofibromatosis. Testicular cancer is not one of the common cancers that is associated with neurofibromatosis. There are a few case reports in the medical literature of testicular cancers that are thought to have been caused by neurofibromatosis, but it is still by no means clear if neurofibromatosis does in fact raise the chances of a testicular cancer. That being said, testicular cancer is one of the more common types of cancer in young men. Therefore, with or without neurofibromatosis, a lump on the testicle needs to be checked out carefully by your doctor to rule out the possibility of a testicular cancer. After a physical examination, if your doctor is concerned, they will want to order an ultrasound to look more closely at the lump, and they may also order some basic blood work looking for chemical signals of testicular cancer. Call and make an appointment today.